What is ESDGC?
ESDGC: Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship.
It is about providing an education which:
- promotes a more equitable and sustainable world
- improves the quality of life now without damaging it for the future
focuses on economic, social and environmental issues: issues integral to day-to-day life
develops skills, knowledge and values
developing and enabling learners to:
understand issues, concerns and options
- consider the impacts of actions taken: individually and collectively, locally and globally
make informed decisions and the right choices for their future
make changes in their own lives
take action, individually and collectively
deal effectively with future world challenges
become active participants
- For Educators it is about:
developing and embedding it:
across the curriculum
through all learning materials, qualification routes, vocational areas and occupations
throughout all aspects of the organisation: be it a school, college of further education, university or work-based learning provider.
ESDGC should not be seen as an additional or stand-alone subject: it involves the whole curriculum and impacts on organisational development.
There are seven key themes which are used to demonstrate the breadth of ESDGC:
Identity and culture
The natural environment
Wealth and poverty
Consumption and waste
Choices and decisions
- make changes in their own lives
- make informed decisions and the right choices for their future